Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fall Things

Yesterday I went apple picking with a few families from church.  We went up to SkyTop Orchard in Flat Rock, North Carolina.  The morning started out pretty gray, dreary, and chilly, but by the the time we ate lunch it was clearing up and warming up and becoming a very beautiful fall day.  It would have been a fantastic day for a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway or a good hike in the mountains.  

            


Since neither driving on the Parkway or hiking was possible at that point, I settled for helping my dad plant 9 fruit trees in the back yard:  2 apple, 2 pear, 2 plum, 2 nectarine, and 1 fig.  It was great weather for working outside!
      


Dad is borrowing at truck from someone at church to haul asphalt for a "road" he is building to help with a dirt-run off problem.  He calls this truck The Death Trap because it's so terrible to drive.  I hate when he goes to drive it.  The road doesn't look great, but it's also not finished, yet.                                       
                                                                                                                                               


To see more pictures from Saturday, click on this link:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2208413&l=deca6&id=17807588

1 comment:

Jenna said...

What a fun day! We still have a kitchen counter full of apples waiting to be _______ed. (I think we'll make apple butter - yummy!)