For those of you who have read my blog in the past couple years, you know that I have run a few half-marathons (four to be exact...in a 13 month time period no less). I am embarrassed to say that my running has gone to pot. Running two miles now is torture. I'm not even sure I could run a 5K. Pathetic. My downhill began when we started renovating the house. I couldn't get myself out of bed in the morning to go before work and every evening I just went straight to work on the house.
Last year at the end of October I ran a half marathon in the Spinx Run Fest in downtown Greenville. It was actually my worst one, but since then (in February), I did a half down on Tybee Island that was much better. Yesterday was the Spinx Run Fest for this year. I did not even attempt the 5K. However, several of my friends were running. They have cheered for me many times, so Jonathan and I went to cheer them on as they crossed the finish line. My friend Jenna Smith ran her very first half marathon and did AMAZING! She did so amazing that she was ten minutes faster than her goal and that combined with a mix up with when the race was supposed to start meant that we missed her crossing the finish line. But we were there for Scott and Lisa as they crossed the finish line after their full marathons. They were all amazing! Last Saturday Lisa ran a 50K. Then she got a bad cough and cold and still ran today. Kudos to her.
So....as we stood there watching the runners come in, I had a mixture of feelings. On one hand, it was a beautiful day and I missed the thrill of finishing the race. Of completing a goal that I have literally spent weeks and weeks working towards. And then I saw the pain on some of their faces and was so glad it was them and not me. However...above all else it made me want to start running again. I miss the way it makes me feel. I miss the pain that comes the day after. I was envious of the pain of those running today.
4 comments:
I love the title - so true! I was so happy that you were there!!! Thanks for taking great pictures. :) And the pain... NOT MY FAVORITE PART! Let's do a race together soon.
I can't help thinking that the Spinx was my first half, only a year ago...and I'm in your boat now. I can't even make it a mile! Some day I'll run again! Looks like it was great running weather!
Wish I had even a little bit of that motivation!
That was awesome that y'all were there! I had no idea you were going to be there until I ran into the stadium. I know what you mean about the pain--you hate it but love it at the same time. And didn't Jenna do awesome?!!!! We definitely need to plan another race together.
Post a Comment