Friday, April 1, 2016

Cherry Blossoms and the White House

My parents were in town for Jonathan's graduation and to visit.  They had originally planned to leave on Friday morning, but stayed longer since Jonathan's class and family could stay for a tour of the White House on Saturday.  It just happened to be during the peak cherry blossom bloom!

I read a list of "Tips for visiting the cherry blossoms" and the first one was "DON'T DRIVE!"  Conveniently, we live a few blocks from the metro, so we rode that in.  It was Baylor's first time!  (Rylee and Corben have ridden the metro in both Philadelphia and New York).  Another tip was don't bring a stroller.  I don't think Baylor minded that one too much. ;)



There was a small scheduling problem, so we all (50+ classmates and family) ended up waiting around this statue for a while before going in the White House.  







 




Then it was on to see the cherry blossoms.  We got a later start on that than we were planning, so we just went to a small grove near the Washington Monument rather than going all the way to the Tidal Basin.  






 Corben was melting fast.  Despite this accurate view of how he was really doing, I did manage to still get some cute pictures after this picture.












We decided to let Baylor stretch some and escape the carrier

Heading back to the car.  Not long after crossing the street, Corben asked if I could carry him.  (My dad had carried Rylee a lot of the day on his shoulders because she had been a little sick the days leading up to this day.  So even though she was feeling fine, he didn't want her to over do it.  Corben had not been carried at all and was plum tuckered out.)  My initial reaction was to say no, but then Jonathan mentioned the carrier, so I thought why not?  Corben was OUT as soon as he was in.



 Bless his heart...still holding his flowers.  Despite Corben being so big, the worst part was that monkey. Not sure why we didn't take it off first.

He slept the entire walk back to the metro and woke up on the way back with this lovely pattern from my shirt. : )

Fun day and PERFECT weather! 




3 comments:

Sara said...

So fun! I want to come!

Emily said...

Great pictures and it sounds like the perfect day! So glad you could do that and that mom and dad could make it up. And so cool to go inside the White House! Yeah, I think the idea to take off the monkey before putting him into the carrier should have probably occurred sooner to the intelligent group of adults that were on this grand adventure! ;)

Latisha said...

Nice post, Crystal. You got some really good pictures! (I stole the one of mom and dad with the cherry blossoms). Glad you had such great weather!