I admire all the people who have the patience of letting their kids learn to feed themselves at an early age. And I know there have been all kind of studies done to show how this helps with their development, but I guess I'm just not a very good mom because I've been feeding Rylee for well...14 months. She is very capable of feeding herself with her fingers and I give her that opportunity at most meals after I've fed her the main dish with a spoon. It's not that I worry about a mess, but rather her getting enough. If her food is all over her then I don't feel like she's actually eaten enough. Tonight, though, I let her feed herself with a spoon. For it being her first time, I thought she did pretty darn good. She ate half the bowl by herself and I confess I fed her the last half since she was more interested in playing than eating.
3 comments:
First of all, what in the world are you feeding that child. And second, you didn't put a bib on her for her first time feeding herself? I know she pulls on them, but surely it's still helpful.
Very cute though, and I agree that she seems to have it down.
I really think Rylee and Sophie could be sisters. Sophie is so not feeding herself yet. Cheerios and crackers and stuff, but not a spoon. I guess I should get on that. Go Rylee!!
Ha, you probably get those ideas from reading my blog, but I actually have morphed into a style just like yours--I still feed her baby food, mainly because it's easy and convenient and I know she's actually getting fed. On the days where she gets what we're eating and feeds herself, she wakes up a million times a night to eat because she is starving. So I generally will have Rob feed her about 2-3 jars as I'm getting the food on the table, then we pull her up to the table and put some of the meal in front of her and let her try things out. I also shovel down baby food in the morning, lunch and right before bed. I am SO impressed Rylee is eating with a spoon!! Seriously! I wonder what Em would do now if I tried that.
Post a Comment