We showed up at the hospital right at 7:00 on Wednesday. After checking me in and giving me a few IVs, Dr. Bailey finally came and broke my water at 8:30. They said that if I didn't start contracting within an hour that they would start pitocin. I voiced my concerns about about that and they said usually pitocin is given in very large amounts (i.e. up to "20" or even higher sometimes), but that they had found that given in very small amounts it was safe for a VBAC. After an hour I'd had only one contraction, so they started the pitocin. On like a 1. They eventually upped it to 3, I think. Pretty sure that's the highest it ever got. Jonathan said he thought he saw it on a 6 at one point, but it wasn't very for very long if so.
So anyway, about 9:45 they started the pitocin and sometime around 11:00 maybe I started to really feel the contractions. And I wasn't enjoying it. I think I could have made it without an epidural (that had been my goal, but only for financial reasons), but it was all going slow and I just didn't want to be miserable the whole time. So I got the epidural. It only worked on my left side, so after about an hour of trying to make sure it really "missed" the right side, they finally gave me another one. When that kicked in I never felt another thing. It was wonderful. I had heard that people usually at least feel what's going on, but just not painfully, but I couldn't feel a thing. In fact I was worried I had stopped having contractions altogether, but the nurse assured me I was still having them. Around 3:00 Dr. Price came to check on things and said I was dilated to 10. Say what? I was really pleasantly shocked. I thought it would still be hours. So he said he'd come back in about half an hour and we'd start pushing. I think it was a little longer than that, but I know I pushed for about 1 1/2 hours. It went by fast and I got to watch in this big mirror. It was SO hard to push not being able to feel anything. *TMI Alert* I have never had hemorrhoids before, but this gave them to me and holy cow...not a fan. Anyway, his head has been low for weeks and Dr. Price kept saying he could easily pull him out, but he'd rather that I push him out. We eventually got there. I did opt for an episiotomy. He left it up to me, but said I was going to tear and a small clean cut would be better than a tear. Made sense to me. It was such a relief when he finally came out...I was so paranoid about my VBAC failing and having to get a c-section. I had been prepared to have to put a fight for it; that the doctor would try and suggest a c-section instead, but no one said a word about it all day and I was glad to have their support in that. Having a VBAC was WAY more important to me than not getting an epidural.
He was born at 5:48 and they immediately put him on me for what the hospital calls their "Magic Hour" and skin to skin. They wiped him up a little bit, delivered the placenta and stitched me up and then basically left us alone for an hour. It was awesome. Such an opposite experience from the c-section where I caught a glimpse of Rylee and she was whisked away. I hope all my kids can be born vaginally.
After Magic Hour my parents brought Rylee to the hospital. They came right before they moved me to a different room and Rylee got to ride with me and Corben on the bed which I think she really enjoyed. Rylee really likes Corben and I think she'll really be a great big sister as long as she isn't too too loving. ; ) After everyone left they came by to give him his first bath and weigh him. He weighed 7 lbs 15 oz and is 21 inches long. Glad I had him a little early because he was on his way to being an 8 pounder. lol
The hospital also doesn't have a "nursery" per se and is all about the baby being with the mother. I really like that. The next day we had a bunch of people come by: hearing screening, photographer, birth certificate lady, lactation nurse, pediatrician, and of course the regular nurses/doctor. The only thing that Corben was taken out my room for was for his circumcision. Everything else is done in-room. My parents brought Rylee by again to visit and Jonathan's mom came by to visit us, too. They have what they call "cuddle time" from 3:00 to 5:00 where no one is allowed to come to our room. It was awesome. Me, Jonathan, and Corben all took lovely naps. I didn't get much sleep the night before, but not because of Corben. Just because I was trying to pump to get out my colostrum for him (couldn't get him to latch) and then I'd have to wash all my pump stuff and going to the bathroom was a process. Doing that three times during the night just didn't leave much time for sleep. Corben slept great, though. lol
Friday was go home day. We were basically ready to go by about 9:00, but the pediatrician took FOREVER to come. Jonathan was supposed to be in Pendleton by noon, so we were hoping to get discharged before then so he could take us home. As luck would have it, instead of coming by at 9:30 or 10:00 like the pediatrician usually does from our doctors office, she went to a different hospital first that day and didn't come until about 12:30. So my mom brought Jonathan's car at 11:15 so he could go to Pendleton and she hung out with us at the hospital until I got discharged.
We've had a good week. Corben latched and had about 3 feedings at the hospital, latched twice at home, and that was it. But I'm still pumping and having to supplement with formula since I'm not producing enough. I've ordered an herbal supplement that will hopefully increase my milk supply, but it hasn't come in the mail, yet. If it increases my supply enough to not need to add any formula then I'll see if I can get him to latch again. Before we left the hospital his bilirubin was a little high...not high enough to do anything there, but enough that they wanted us to take him to the pediatrician on Saturday to get it checked. When we left the hospital his weight was 7 lbs 8 oz and his bili was 7. Because I couldn't get him to latch and hadn't started supplementing with formula, yet, his weight was down to 7 lbs 2 oz on Saturday and his bili was 14. So they sent us home with a bili-blanket and we went back on Monday. I had actually already scheduled an appointment for Monday for Rylee's 18 month appointment, so that worked out. (I'll do a separate 18 month post for Rylee). Corben was 7 lbs 7 oz and his bili was down to 9, so they said we didn't have to do the blanket anymore and just to make sure he ate and pooped/peed a lot. After not peeing and pooping much the day after we brought him home, he as sure made up for it since Saturday! And he is eating a TON. I'm more worried about him eating too much now. lol
The first night home was not good because I was still trying to get him to latch at that point and spent 2 1/2 hours in the middle of the night trying to feed him. The next few nights I was so paranoid about him needing to eat a bunch because his jaundice that I woke him up to feed him a couple times. Two nights ago I only woke him up once. Yesterday he ate SO MUCH that I decided that I wasn't going to wake him up at all. He slept from 12 to 6. Yay! I didn't get to bed until 1:00, but getting 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep was amazing. After I fed him I pumped and then went back to bed until him and Rylee both woke up about 9:00. Last night might have been a fluke, but even just one night was better than nothing.
Corben is such a cute little boy and it's interesting to see the differences between him and Rylee. For example, Rylee didn't lift her head until she was more than a month old and never really even came close to rolling over. Corben lifts his head all the time (from day one) and rolls from his back to his side pretty easily. I'm sure the difference is that Rylee was 5 weeks early, but I just never realized how much that affected her head and strength before. He still sleeps a lot during the day, but he also stays awake a good bit, too, and I love to just watch him look at the world.
So they say not to lift anything more than 10 lbs for a month. Hahahahahahahaha...that's funny. I am trying to be good for at least a couple of weeks, but with an 18 month old it's kind of ridiculous. I told Emily just today that I didn't know how her and Latisha had babies without Mom around. But my mom reminded me that she did usually go and visit them for a week after they had the baby. That made me feel a little better because I have to call on her a lot. When Jonathan is home he is so so helpful and we're good, but he's had finals and worked today and leaves before Rylee wakes up, so when she does wake up I have to call my mom to come get her out of her crib and help get her ready for the day. My mom says she doesn't mind, but I still feel bad for monopolizing so much of her day. We sure do appreciate her! Her and Jonathan both. : )
So here are pictures from the week:
Last pregnant picture
Dilated 10, feeling great!
Corben Jon Buffington...he's finally out! : )
During the day, whenever a baby is born, they play a lullaby over the hospital speakers. Jonathan hears it when he is at work and has been most excited about when they would play it for Corben. They even let him push the button and he texted his co-workers to let them know that was the one for Corben.
First picture as a family of 4:
And it begins... ; )
The hospital does a "Celebration Dinner" for new parents and bring fancy (plastic) dishes and a bottle of Sparkling Grape Juice. Pretty cool. : )
First day at home
Pictures with the bili-blanket
We gave him his first "bath" tonight. He actually didn't seem to mind it.
Fluffy hair and so alert afterwards. I can't get enough of this cuteness!!! : ) One week old today!
6 comments:
Oh my goodness, oh-my-goodness, ohmygoodness!! He is SO DANG CuTE!!!!! :) I loved reading your story--I kept telling Rob all the cool things your hospital does. I totally want to have my next baby in Greenville now--holy smokes, they do cool stuff! I remember about 5 minutes after they put her on me after birth, a nurse rushed up and said she wanted to go bathe her. I told her no (because I"d read about the hour bonding time thing) and she looked so annoyed with me. So glad they promote it where you were. I totally remember spending hours trying to get Emmie to eat too, it was actually a 4-5 month uphill battle, which is probably why I was relieved when she cut me off, but it's definitely worth it. I love Rylee's looks of pure joy/love/excitement when she's looking at Corben, you can tell those two are going to be close :) He looks a lot more like Jonathan to me than Rylee does, and he looks just like his grandma in the one picture in the eyes area--cute! :)
Congrats to you guys, I've been looking forward to hearing the details and was not disappointed! Glad it went so well and you had a healthy vbac! What a cutie!
He is the cutest! Seriously. My epidural only worked on half my body one time, it was the worst, they never fixed it! The other times it didn't work. Your hospital sounds like they do things exactly like mine. EXACTLY! I'm impressed you were able to get out of bed to pump. Those "roids" are a killer. Good luck with your two cuties! I hope you continue to sleep. With sleep anything is endurable.
Congrats, Crystal! I'm so glad you were able to have a successful and wonderful vbac experience. I was a little worried when you started talking about pitocin, but relieved to hear that it all ended up well. Wish our hospitals out here were so supportive and accomodating! I had a hard time nursing my first one as well, so I know how you feel. I hear oatmeal is a good lactating stimulant, but my problem was not that I didn't produce, just couldn't get baby boy to latch well. Good luck and get as much sleep as you can!
Oh my goodness, he might be the cutest baby boy I've ever seen!!!! Seriously, he is so perfect looking! I have so much to say and I'm sure I'll forget half of it. Here it goes: Yay for having a successful VBAC!!!!!!!!!!!! Side note--with pitocin everyone says get the epidural. The contractions are different (not natural and a lot worse) so the epidural is a must. I would have done the same. :) I'm glad he is so alert. Sophie was the same and I'm sure it's because they stayed in a little longer. That's awesome that he's rolling a little. That stinks that he's having trouble nursing. I liked using kellymom.com for nursing questions (still use it). But so AWESOME that they gave you that magical hour. It is so magical!!! And that you got to keep him with you the whole time. Hemorrhoids--ugh. At least I'm not alone. :) Rylee is so cute and I'm glad she loves him so much. :) And I agree that moms are priceless. Glad you live so close to yours. That's all for now. Get some more sleep and give Corben lots of snuggles from me. Congrats and I'm glad everything went well!!!!
Great post, Crystal! He is such a cutie - hope we get to make a trip over sometime to see him! Enjoy having mom around - and don't let dad steal her away from you :)
Finally got around to reading this. You'll be so glad to have all these details later. Good job! Glad everyone is home and safe. Looking forward to meeting him eventually!!
Post a Comment