Thursday, February 13, 2014

Snow 2014-Take Two

They were forecasting two winter storms in one week here...totally unheard of. The first storm was supposed to get here Tuesday and drop 3-6" of snow (or something like that).  Then a lull and Wednesday afternoon a second storm was supposed to move in and drop even more snow for a total (between the two storms) of 8-12".  Pretty sure areas around us got those numbers, but we did not.  It's hard to know exactly how much total snow fell because there were periods of sleet mixed in that compacted the snow.   And day 2 was really windy and blew the snow around a lot.  So...I'd guess total this week we got 4-6", but the most there ever was on the ground was maybe 2-3".  Confusing enough?  Either way it was enough to have fun in, but I'm definitely ready for spring now!

Day 1 (Tuesday)
The first day I think all the areas surrounding us got 3-4" of snow.  We had dustings on the grass only off and on during the day.  It was snowing when we woke up and literally snowed all day until about 4:00.  These pictures were taken after it finally stopped snowing.  The trees had much more snow than the grass when it was all said and done! 


If you look at the blue car and this box you can see how much total we got for the day.

The trees were very pretty!





Day 2 (Wednesday)
When we woke up it actually wasn't doing anything and the trees didn't even look like this anymore. However, within an hour it had started snowing and everything (including the roads) were covered in snow.  It snowed for awhile and about the time we bundled up to walk to Mom & Dad's it changed over to sleet for awhile so we just hung out inside at their house for a little while.  



Literally hanging around...we've periodically put Rylee & Corben in this johnny jumper, but neither has been that impressed.   However, today Corben finally realized how fun it can be and happily jumped and played in in for a long time.


Eventually it changed back to snow and we ventured out so Rylee could go sledding for the first time ever. 





So I thought Jonathan was taking a picture and I was really excited because I have so few pictures of me and Rylee.  But then later I saw that it was a video and I was sad.  So I tried to take a "snapshot" from the picture on Picasa, but it's kind of blurry.


Kate & Rylee sledding


Rylee must take after me because after 20 minutes we were both ready to go back inside.  She and Bear watched Animal Bloopers.  Corben really cracks up when it's on, too, but he was sleeping. 


Look at that cute little pantied bottom.  Her pants were a little wet, so she was going without.

You may or may not know that my dad is notorious for writing on things with sharpies.  He usually has one in his pocket and in fact got three packs of sharpies for Christmas because he often loses them.  Luckily, I convinced him to use a dry erase marker on this little fella.

It was really windy...here's some snow blowing off the house.

Day 3 (Thursday)
When we woke up this morning everything was covered in a mixture of snow and sleet.  Enough so that all our footprints from the night before were gone.  Jonathan had worked Wednesday night, so I bundled up Rylee & Corben and we walked to Mom & Dad's on our own so Jonathan could get some uninterrupted sleep.  By this time there were a few stray flurries, but the "main event" was over.  It was MUCH nicer playing conditions.  No wind, no sleet, much warmer.  So warm in fact that I eventually had to take my gloves off and my hands never even got cold.  Nice.  Nate & Geri were taking pictures with their nice camera, so there are some decent pictures from this day, thank goodness. 



Eating snow for the first time.  She was a fan.




Sledding with Nate

While she enjoyed that, once was enough.  However, she LOVED sledding down this smaller hill on this perfect little sled for her and went over and over again. 








Racing Brian

Her face is so cute here's a closer up...so excited because she's ahead of him! : )


And...watching Brian continue on after her sled had stopped. lol 
 

After sledding she got into her first ever snowball fight with Brian and Kate which she also really enjoyed.

At this point, I went in the house, but Rylee stayed outside to play with Brian and Kate for a little while because she was really enjoying the snow by now.  So maybe she doesn't take after me afterall. ; )

After everyone else left, Kate made Olaf (from Frozen).  She did a great job, but the buck tooth kept falling off.  So she'd put it on really quick and move so I could take a picture.  The very first time...as luck would have it I had it on video rather than camera. lol

Take 2 (we actually had many more than that)


Overall, a fun few days, but I'm more than ready for spring.  So excited that next weekend is supposed to be in the upper 60's! : )






1 comment:

Latisha said...

Fun snow pics! Finally got around to checking them out. Makes me jealous for some snow....and some nearby cousins. Enjoy!