Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Utah or Bust

I of course meant to blog about our trip weeks ago, but am just now getting around to it. We were lucky enough to get two $200 plane tickets (each) from one of my former BYU roommates, so we took a trip to Utah in March (20-28).

DAY 1: Flight to Utah

Rylee excited for her first plane ride. Chillin at the airport waiting for our plane to arrive.

Waiting until time to taxi when I would have to hold her for take-off.

Woohoo!

Out before the wheels even left the ground and slept until just before we landed.

DAY 2: St. George

We left Springville at 7:15 am and arrived in St. George at 11:15 where we spent the day with Jonathan's sister Amy and her family. Just hung out all day, got lots of CUTE clothes and bows for Rylee, and had dinner at Panda Garden before leaving at 8:15 that evening to drive back to Springville. Got back about 11:45.






DAY 3: Tucanos, visiting friends

Eric scared after they sang Happy Birthday.


Barbara, Stephanie, & Me. Roommates from BYU (Yes, they're both pregnant. This was actually just two weeks before Stephanie had her baby). In Lehi.
With our kids

Rhonda & me...Actually Emily & Tisha's former roommate. I wore her wedding dress when I got married.
Rhonda lives up on the mountain in Draper and Rylee got to see snow for the first time. They were both WAY excited!

Next we visited my former roommate Beth in West Jordan. We both had our first babies (girls) about a month apart. SO fun to meet Emmie after seeing so many pictures. And great to see Beth, too...I hadn't seen her since she got married in January of 2010. Oh, so before we left that morning, Jonathan asked me if I had arranged with Beth to dress Rylee & Emmie in coordinating outfits. I told him no. CHECK THIS OUT...totally coincidental that they are dressed like this. I love it!


Jonathan with Emmie & Rob with Rylee

DAY 4: Temple Square

Our rental car was due back on this morning, so Sara also drove up, too, to be our drive for the day. This was Jonathan's first time to Temple Square so I was excited for him to see it. And while the cool new mall City Creek opened the day before we got there, no, we did not go see it. (I've had several people ask me)

From the roof of the Conference Center


From the top floor of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building

We had lunch at the Lion House Pantry with Scott's wife Buka and their daughter Tsolmon.


Preparations for the Young Women's General Broadcast that was happening a couple days later.

Hanging out that evening at Emily and Dan's. This morning Dan defended and officially got his PhD, so Emily surprised him with a hotel room since he said the one thing he wanted was to sleep in the next morning. So Sara and us got to baby sit. : ) Congrats, Dr. Dan!

Rylee liked the exersaucer. We need to get one.

Caitlyn helping Eric to walk (he turned 1 on the day we were in St. George)


Where Jeffery was much of the time...keeping up with March Madness and playing a game.

DAY 5: Hiking the Y, J Dawgs (not pictured), & photo shoot


Jeffrey is a big BYU fan and was SO excited to hike the Y for the very first time. I'm pretty out of shape and was hoping he would slow down the pack, but alas...I was last. lol



Jonathan carried Rylee most of the way up.



Finally able to actually see our destination!

At some point Rylee got tired of being in the carrier on the way up. I carried her a little while and then Emily carried her the last little bit. Bless her heart. : )

Finally made it!


Squinting...

Squinting...

Smart girl with the sunglasses. ; )

We left a little before the others to head down since we were kind of slow with Rylee.





They eventually caught up...
Jared & Sara

Jeffrey & Emily

And passed us. Good thing we got a head start!


After showers we met Beth & Rob at the BYU bell tower because Beth had graciously offered to do a family photo shoot. Here is a SMALL sampling of the pictures Beth took (out of about 600). To see a slightly larger sampling of pictures, you can go to the album Beth posted on Facebook. Someday I hope to put an album up of my favorites. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100402453666599.2521974.17822679&type=1



After that photo shoot Beth & Rob came to Emily's for dinner and then we took more pictures in the back yard.
Rylee & Emmie



DAY 6: Church and visit with Gunter cousins.
Michael is in Hawaii, so of course he wasn't there. And Ansley had pink eye, so we missed Levin & Natalie, too. : ( But we enjoyed our visit with everyone else! : )

Andrew gave a talk in primary...maybe sucking on the tie is a nervous habit? : )

DAY 7: BYU Campus, Bowling

We woke up to sporadic flurries through out the day. Jonathan loved it. I was grateful to just be visiting Utah. Not sure if you can see the snow flakes, or not.

You can kind of see them on Emily's jacket.

Originally, Jonathan & I were going to go bowling with Beth & Rob on Saturday, but time got away from us AND we found out that instead of $4/game like usual, on Monday nights they are $1/game, so we went bowling at the Wilk. Since it's so cheap, it's a popular FHE activity, so we had to go early to get in a decent time.

Our signature "waiting" faces.









Jonathan had been making silly faces, so I asked him to be serious and this is what I got.

1st Game

2nd Game:

Plum tuckered out. It was HOT in the bowling alley. We had stripped her down to the onsie long before we left.

DAY 7: Temple, Dinner with Gene & Andrea






Last night...picture with our wonderful hosts. THANKS!!!

DAY 8: Home to SC

Once again waiting for our plane. She again slept almost the entire plane rides home.


Just thought this was funny.

5 comments:

Beth said...

K, that cracked me up when I saw your sunglasses picture and comment, and I finally realized why you were pointing out why everyone was squinting! I'm the same way with Rob--he never wants to wear sunglasses on sunny outings. We have a Disney World picture where my whole family is smiling at the camera in their sunglasses, and Rob is trying to do the squint/smile and is the ONLY one. I point it out all the time with a "see the benefits of wearing sunglasses?" tease, haha :) Loved reading through all this! So fun! Rob is funny in that he LOVES for me to take pictures of him IF he is holding Em. In fact, he is constantly requesting that I take another picture of him with her, especially if she leans against him or whatever :) Such a fun visit, glad ya'll made it out here and fit us into your visit!! we sure loved seeing you! Love that picture you put of us sitting on the couch and the girls studying each other, too cute :) Don't think I thought clearly enough about your other visits, would have loved to get together with you, Barbara and Stephanie! Duh Beth! Oh well, really enjoyed seeing you and seeing the pictures on here!!!

The Old Buffington's said...

I love all the pictures and it actually was Jonathan's second time to go to Temple Square.... he was pretty young though and probably doesn't remember it!!! Looks like a really fun trip!!! Bet you were tired when you got home!!!

Latisha said...

Great post, Crystal! Looks like fun!

Emily said...

Nice work, as always, documenting all the details. Fun to read and fun to have you here!

Jenna said...

I think you have used up your good airplane rides with Rylee for life! :) haha just kidding. I am glad she was great for you!! That's lucky.

Looks like a fun trip! Rylee is adorable. Officially.