Monday, August 13, 2012

Gatlinburg Family Reunion

I meant to blog about our trip as we were there, but that just never happened so you get a ginormous post here about the whole thing in one.  A little preface.  A year ago, my family decided to plan a big reunion for this summer at a cabin in Gatlinburg.  After much looking, we decided on this cabin:  River Adventure Lodge we made all our plans.  Including choosing who would get what room, etc.  We were sacrificing rooms for amenities which meant that Nate & Geri and Tish & Roger and all 7 of their kids would be sharing the room with 3 queen bunk beds.  But we really felt like the kids would enjoy this house and the river and playground.  We were set to go on Monday, August 6th.  The Saturday before (the 4th), the lady called Nate and said that there was a septic back-up and we could not stay at that cabin.  WHAT?  The good thing was that we got an upgrade to a MUCH bigger cabin that despite not being on the river was much more accommodating for our family, including 8 bedrooms instead of 6.  There was a still a game room and it also included a 10-seat movie theater which turned out to be a great place to put all the kids when we wanted some adult visiting time.  So here was our cabin: Mountain Mist. We also decided that having two refrigerators and two dishwashers ended up being a lifesaver and it would have been very tricky in the other cabin.  

MONDAY

Drive up...

Random pictures of the cabin and our room.  This was before I'd actually finished unpacking, so our room was still kind of messy. 







We were excited about the jacuzzi in our room, but of course it wasn't working. : (


We arrived on Emily's birthday, so we did some celebrating the first evening there.  Nate and Geri brought cake and I made Wendy's Frosty's for everyone. (Mom's birthday was the day we left, so we celebrated her birthday, too).  Oh, and I'm using pictures from a plethora of cameras; we all shared each other's pictures with each other on the last day).  









(I love all the pictures Nate took of people eating.  Kind of funny.)












TUESDAY

Plum tuckered out from all the excitement the night before. Couldn't even finish her breakfast without falling asleep.  Of course, as soon as I got her up to put her to bed for a nap she was wide a wake.  Just needed a little power nap, I guess. 

Tuesday morning was set aside for family pictures.  Nate was our photographer and took a lot of pictures! 

Mom & Dad

Derek (16), Latisha, Roger, Kaylee (11), Brandon (9), Dustin (14)


Justin (15), Brian (11), Nathan, Geri, Kate (7)


Abby (8), Holley, Adam, Megan (6), Emma (2), Sophie (4)

Dan, Eric (1), Emily, Jeffrey (7), Andrew (3), Caitlyn (5)

 Crystal, Rylee (9 mos), Jonathan


Sara & Jared

I only have individual pictures of Rylee & Emily's kids.  I don't think any of the others had individuals taken of their kids. 

Jeffrey 

Caitlyn

Andrew

Eric

Rylee
   
 Sisters - Emily, Crystal, Latisha, Sara

Brothers - Nathan & Adam

Jared, Jonathan, Adam, Dan, Nathan, Roger

Holley, Emily, Crystal, Latisha, Sara, Geri
 

Siblings - Nathan, Emily, Crystal, Latisha, Sara, Adam
 

All the adult "kids":  Geri & Nate, Sara & Jared, Roger & Latisha, Holley & Adam, Crystal & Jonathan, Emily & Dan

The "original" Leckie family: 


ALL the adults

We took a group picture, but it was kind of washed out in the background.  Here is a before Nate-doctored -the-picture and an after.  Still slightly washed out, but at least the sun is shining and you can see the mountains (Nate put us in front of a picture he'd taken a different day when it wasn't raining).



The movie theater was great for large groups! 

Or for a date if you happen to have some girls...which they didn't. 

Rylee will have to do.

Rylee could not get enough of playing with Emily's youngest Eric.  He is just about 8 months older and on the clingy shy side generally  speaking, although Rylee could usually get him to open up. 



Dan's lovely lunch. 

Having fun in one of the hot tubs.  Aka warm tub...the temp was set at 98.

Eric cried when I tried to watch him for Emily until I got him to help me feed Rylee.   He liked that.


Getting ready for the Variety Show.  It included things like:
Eric walking across the stage 
Kaylee making animal noises
Roger and Derek juggling
Shields family pickpocketing skit
Jeffrey doing a cartwheel
Brandon doing magic tricks
Brian doing a disappearing act
Geri clogging.
Caitlyn reciting "Ooey Gooey"
Andrew doing "The Three Faces of Andrew"
Sara & Jared singing and playing the guitar to "I Found You" (think Pete's Dragon)
Justin playing the guitar
Kate telling jokes
Dad playing the harmonica
Abby, Megan, Sophie, & Emma dancing
Jonathan showing priceless artwork
Nate whistling like a cricket
I think that was everybody.  It was pretty funny. 








WEDNESDAY

Wednesday was the "free day" and the Jonathan, Rylee, and I rode the trolley downtown.  I've only ever been to Gatlinburg in the winter/fall before and I think this will be my last summer trip there.  It was so stinkin' hot that we didn't stay downtown for long.  Rylee slept most of the time in my carrier which was nice.  The only picture I took was us waiting in the hot sun for the trolley to come...


Enjoying the view with Grandpa


The majority of the people spent their day on a little hike.  Here are some pictures from their hike:



























Later that evening Dad of course felt it necessary to make some type of swing off the very high decks...
 




THURSDAY

Thursday morning we had games.  First up was Heads Up, Seven Up.  Then a taped up candy ball game and then a water bucket and sponge relay game.  The candy ball game got a little long, but it was still a fun morning. 



















Woah, woah, woah...this is a family game! 






casualty



Swimming in the hot tub with cousins a little later that day.




One of Eric's favorite things to do was empty the chip cabinet one bag at a time and take them to anyone, although usually Sara since she lived with them for a year so he's not afraid of her. lol







Mom about to open up her presents for her birthday (a day early since everyone was going separate ways the next morning).


All in all we had a great time.  Chaotic, but great! : )





4 comments:

Rob VanVliet said...

This was so fun to read! I just love your family :) I hope I end up like your parents one day, enjoying vacations with a ton of kids and grandkids :) Love the swing your dad made--did only one person try it? And the family pictures ya'll took! I think it's awesome you got this all posted in one post, and so organized! I'm far behind on stuff like this. THanks for sharing! :)

PS Rylee can stand on her own????!!

The Old Buffington's said...

What a wonderful time!!! I love all the pictures, especially the one of Rylee!!!!

Stephanie LeFevre said...

I'm jealous, I wish I could have a family reunion like that!

Mindy said...

Looks so fun!! Thanks for sharing such great pics...it was almost like being there! :)