Rylee is pretty tall for her age...97% at her last appointment. And now that I'm writing this I realize that I've probably failed as a Mom because I totally forgot about scheduling a 15 month well child for Rylee. Maybe I'll luck out and my doctor's office doesn't do that one. Hmmm...have to call tomorrow and see. Anyway, so Rylee is tall, which means that dresses for 12-18 months old are too short for her. I saw on Pinterest this pin for a peasant dress.
The only problem was that the free pattern was for 0-3 months (you can pay $9 for bigger patterns, but I'm WAY too cheap for that!), but I figured I could just make it a little bigger and especially a little longer for Rylee. Now, I took a sewing class in college. Two actually. I have a binder full of instructions and tutorials on how to -correctly- enlarge a pattern. I just eye-balled it, though. Shhh...don't tell my teacher! So I made the dress and, ironically, accidentally made it a little shorter than I was really wanting. Luckily, my mom had some longish lace that she had cut off an old curtain that would make the length work. After I put the lace on I thought it still needed some embellishments, so I planned on just putting a few little small bows. I made the bows from instructions I saw on another pin. The bow is EASY, but the ribbon itself was a little too thin, so my bows aren't pretty. Oh, well. Originally I was going to make the bows out of cream ribbon, but then I thought it might look nice to make them red since there are little bits of red in the dress. And THAT led me to a crazy idea to put red ribbon through the lace at the bottom. It was tedious, but after about 2 scallops I had the epiphany (THANK GOODNESS!) to use a needle. It took a few hours, but if I hadn't thought to use the needle I'm sure the project would have never been finished. Anyway, I'm very happy with the way it came out. It's kind of thin fabric so unfortunately I have to wait until the weather warms up a little more for Rylee to wear it. I have about 4 more fabrics to make more dresses since it really was pretty easy.
*I do think it kind of resembles a nightgown, but that might be because I opted to not gather the sleeves. So...maybe I should have gathered the sleeves afterall. Or maybe because I made it too long in the end. Oh, well.*
3 comments:
Oh, super super cute!!! I'm so impressed with your crafitness....you must be getting nesting instincts ;) Thanks for posting the links to where you got the ideas from. I think the blue plus red gives it a Dorothy from Wizard of Oz feel to it--super cute! Can't wait to see the other ones too :)
PS I know a REALLY easy way to make dresses for kiddos where all you need is a cute t-shirt that fits them (or onesie that you cut off and hem). I just learned from someone teaching me, so I'll have to post the instructions. Super easy, and great way to get the length just right for Rylee :)
So cute!!!! I'm SUPER impressed!!!! And that ribbon through the lace is so pretty!
Great idea to add the ribbon through the lace (and wise to go with the needle). It's another very cute piece of work!!
THESE THINGS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO READ TO "PROVE I'M NOT A ROBOT." Do you really think it's necessary? Maybe you should consider changing your settings to not require that? Or I'll just stop commenting. But something's gotta give, or I'm gonna go CRAZY!
Post a Comment